How Does This Blog Work?

First, you become an author. Send me your email address (whoseamy@gmail.com) and I will send you an invite to begin posting. I can walk you through the posting process just send me an email.


12/8/08

Tuscan Minstone Soup

This soup is so great, and great for you too! I discovered this recipe out of the book Bob Greene, The Best Life Diet. I did make a few changes.....which he may not approve of...but I don't think it will kill ya, and it made it a little tastier.

Serves 6

2 Tablespoons olive oil (first change.....I added more oil!)
1 medium Zucchini, cut into 1/2- inch slices, about 2 cups
1 medium Squash, cut into 1/2- inch slices, about 2 cups
1 large carrot, finely diced, about 3/4 cup
1 small onion, finely diced, about 3/4 cup
2 cloves garlic, minced ( I added a little more)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning ( I only had oregano...I used less but didn't measure)
4 cups all-natural reduced sodium chicken broth ( I used regular and at least doubled the amount)
one 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
one 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed ( I used great northern beans)
1/2 cup whole wheat Barilla PLUS or elbow pasta (used regular food storage elbow mac, I used more, which is why I used more broth and it made more servings)
3 fresh thyme sprigs
salt and pepper
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh basil, cut into strips

Heat the oil in a dutch oven (Pot)over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, summer squash, carrot, onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning to the dutch oven and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables start to soften, about 10 min. Stir in the broth and diced tomatoes, cover the mixture, and bring it to a boil. Add the beans, pasta, and thyme, and cook, uncovered, at a low boil until the pasta is done, about 10 min. (I have done it this way, but for the party I made the noodles ahead of time). Remove the thyme sprigs, and season the mixture with salt and pepper. Serve in individual bowls and top each serving with the Parmesan cheese and basil.

Per Serving: Calories: 193, Protein: 10g, Carbohydrate: 25 g, Dietary Fiber: 6, Total Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Calcium: 130 mg, Sodium: 516 mg.

No comments: