How Does This Blog Work?

First, you become an author. Send me your email address (whoseamy@gmail.com) and I will send you an invite to begin posting. I can walk you through the posting process just send me an email.


1/27/09

Oatmeal and Dried Cherry Biscuits

I was watching Martha and she was making this recipe.  I thought it looked good and decided to try it.  They were delicious and would be so good for a brunch with fruit and other goodies as well.  All of my family even liked them.  They reminded me of oatmeal cookies. 

I didn't take a picture, but I will next time and post it.

1 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 c buttermilk, plus little more for brushing
1/2 tsp vanilla 
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup dried cherries  (I used dried cranberries or craisins)
sugar for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 350.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper (i just used my cookie sheet, didn't have parch paper)

In a med. bowl, whisk together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut butter into oat mixture until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.   In another bowl, mix together egg, buttermilk, vanilla and almond extracts until well combined.  Add egg mixture to flour mixture.  Stir in cherries.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface, roll out to 1 inch thick rectangle.  Cut biscuits into 8 equal squares, transfer biscuits to prepared baking sheet.  Brush biscuits with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.

Put in oven and bake until tops are lightly browned, 18-20 minutes.  Put on wire rack and cook slightly before serving.


No comments: